Tuesday 3 April 2012

Tron Legacy (2010) review


Tron Legacy (2010)


Review by George Elcombe


‘Then one day, I got in!’

So after a 28 year wait we have the sequel to one of the most important and inspirational films of the 80’s. Important you say? Yes. No Tron, no Toy Story. The original made use of then new CGI technology to envision a world set inside a computer, just look at the light cycle scene for an example of how cool it still looks! This has been referenced / parodied numerous times; my favourites being in Family Guy and Robot Chicken’s used light cycle salesman skit.

Many of you may know that Legacy is only here due to test footage being shown at 2008’s Comic Con. I watched this blurry shaky cam fan footage and was amazed at how cool the new light cycles were. And what’s this, an aged Kevin Flynn and a youthful Clu? Quality. And Daft Punk doing the soundtrack? I’m there dude!

I had wanted to see the film in the Imax but due to their disorganised booking process I missed out but unlike seeing Avatar at the Imax, I really wasn’t that bothered. I was hyped up despite the mediocre reviews the films has been getting I went in armed with these references of opinion: Daft Punk, it’s a kids film, Light Cycles, I want my eye balls to melt in neon.

And melt they did! In terms of story and plot, they don’t take too long explaining the events of the first film and how the Grid exists. They explain enough so that new viewers understand the Grid with little confusion but I did wish they explained a bit more about the events between the films, specifically more on the bond between Flynn and Tron which is merely referenced. Shame as it would have added more emotional oomph (and coolness) when one of Clu’s henchmen realises that he is a re-programmed Tron and is seen turning good (his suit changes from orange to white) as he floats in the sea of whatever its called (basically if the whole grid was reset / destroyed at the end, Tron would be the only programme left). One for the fan boys I guess. The religious and philosophical elements were hinted at but did not go into as much depth as I would have liked and above all this film has your basic three act structure you have seen countless times before with few surprises.

The father son relationship is as believable as in most Hollywood films but I do like Jeff Bridges subtleties as an actor. Plus he is Dude. Unlike Clu who looks as my friend stated ‘like someone from the Polar Express’. The computer graphics were amazing though especially when programmes derezz looking like a cross between over the top gory neon splurges and dropping a box of sugar lumps. Olivia Wild is hot and playful and I am glad she survived (interesting twist as Sam’s prize is his originally his father, but ends up with the ‘hope’ for the future. Which he then takes on a motorbike without a crash helmet, wtf?). Sam is a believable character but noticeably turns into Jeff Bridges as the film progresses. The character Castor stands out as you can tell Michael Sheen had a lot of fun with the role. Oh yeah, Daft Punk are in it! No surprise really but there soundtrack is quality and is stuck in my head as I write this.

The story is a bit confusing with its whole ‘the quest for perfection only creates monsters’ message (the same used in Serenity (2005) and hinting at the strength and benifits of immigration (the Iso’s). I still don’t fully understand how the Grid and the Iso’s can benefit mankind and had to read up in a forum what they are and where they came from.

But more confusing is this plot hole: how the hell did Clu manage to send a page from a computer with no hard line connecting it to anywhere? Seriously, then mention the importance of the page but never explain how he done it! But all you need to know are the basics: man get s sucked into a computer, has to get out and in doing so changes the world and is richer for the whole experience.

Moving on to 3D: too dark! The films design is dark and looks cool with the dark greens contrasting the neon; but add some dark glasses onto that and it wasn’t as rich as other 3D films I have seen. It wasn’t even that noticeably thought out most of the film. Except where it mattered; the gladiatorial games! From the first disk wars to the finale, it was epic. Light bikes are still amazing but I want a light glider! Seriously that chase looked excellent and is quite possibly my highlight of the film!

A sequel has already been commissioned but knowing Disney they will film two back to back ala Pirates. I just hope they don’t suck as much as those sequels.
The ending of Legacy is open to interpretation. As we walked out we were discussing if the whole grid was destroyed bar Tron who will re-build it in his own image; is the whole grid and Flynn on Sam’s memory card which he will transfer onto a modern server at Encom – thus continuing his father’s work and bring him back to life; did the grid reset itself and if so does that mean that Kevin will rebuild this by scratch; did Daft Punk survive the explosion in the club?  More importantly can someone explain how the page was sent!!! I think this question will be answered in the final episode of the Tron animation series currently being developed. It just seems apt to end the series which sets up Legacy at that point. For the sequels Disney, can you please make two separate films instead of the first being a set up and the last a limp pay off? This franchise deserves better! While I’m here you need to ensure that the youthful Clu and Tron don’t look like Mass Effect 2 characters. Oh, can you not wait another 28 years please?


Not a perfect film, needs a bit of script work and I would have preferred a bit more back story, but overall I enjoyed this film and it lived up to my expectations and left me yearning for more!


7 out of 10.


If you like this, try:

Tron (1982)
The Matrix (1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment