Wednesday 4 April 2012

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) review


Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)


Review by George Elcombe

‘I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle’

I would hope that most people who read this will have seen this amazing film, and hopefully before T3 and T4. I first saw this film when I was about 8 years old (I know, a bit young) sat on a sofa being completely blown away about this film where a boy’s best friend was a robot.

This is one of my favourite movies and I must have seen this film over 50 times, including a showing in a cinema which was truly an experience for the crowd and me. This time I watched the Special Extended Cut on the Skynet Blu Ray edition, which for £7.00 is an amazing package.

So this version was the Extended edition, with 2 additional scenes incorporated, including a dreadful ’30 years later’ ending which I am glad they cut out.

Picture and sound are excellent and youll be glad to hear that the effects have aged well. Three versions of the film and more extras then you can shake a stick at, but lets talk about the film.

Eleven years ago a Terminator (cyborg) was sent back through time to terminate Sarah Conner. A soldier was sent to protect her by her unborn son John Conner, the leader of the resistance against the machines. Now a terminator (good) is sent to protect him from the T1000 (silver puddle robot thing).

The chase sequences are all invigorating, the action scenes are pretty much perfect and the ending can reduce grown men to tears. This film made me want to work in movies, which I have and keep an active interested. For example: how many film reviews do you know who have worked with Steven Speilberg?

This film has heart, moral messages about human nature; what makes us human and our our instincts no more humane than the machines? This is a theme that has appealed to me and is covered in Battlestar Galactica (2004 - 2009) best TV show I’ve seen so far).


Overall this is a classic. One of the best action movies and an overall gem.


10/10


If you like this try:

The Terminator (1984)
Blade Runner (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment