Tuesday 3 April 2012

Cabin in the Woods (2012) review


Cabin in the Woods (2012)
 
 
Review by George Elcombe


"What’s new Scooby Doo"

I love advance screenings. You can get some Gems (Juno) or walk out during the Three Stooges (as my friend did). I was lucky to attend a film that was filmed in 2009 but has sat on a shelf due to MGM’s bankruptcy. When screened at comic book conventions, it received excellent buzz and has a decent score on IMDB, but besides the title I knew little about the film.

Except it is written by Josh Whedon. Enough said.
 
WARNING
It is best to see this film unspoilt by trailers and my spoiler review below. Save that part for when you have seen the film. 

Spoiler free review:

A bunch of young adults go to a cabin in the woods, some stuff happens but its not what you think at all. Trust me, I can’t and won’t spoilt what awesomeness to come but this is one of the funniest films I’ve seen and is generally scary in parts! It's the best horror comedy since Shaun of the Dead and one of the most entertaining films I've seen! Go and watch it, you'll have a blast as this film is an awesome rollercoaster of awesomeness and very clever! It rocks!

Spoiler review:

My god does this film rock! Ok, the title sequence shows images of human sacrifice to a god, so imagine a department of defence setting up elaborate senarios of sacrifice to keep an angry god at bay. And these kids are playing their game! The drops and payoffs are fantastic. The ending was one of the best and most imaginative massacres put to screen! The characters are stereotypes based on Scooby Doo, but it jumps between them and the control room of this defence centre. The pace is great, the tensions build, the actors can act and the dialogue is great, especially when talking about gardening tools. From when you see the bong coffee cup, you know this will be one silly film, and it rocks!

What I really liked is how this film can explain every single horror film in a realistic light. But (here's the real spoiler) just when you think its about to end, the two survivors make their way to the control centre and let loose every conceivable type of monster you know, and the results are gory and hilarious! 


Spoiler free conclusion.

This film is excellent and one of the most refreshing and entertaining films I have seen in a long time.



9/10


If you like this:

Evil Dead 2 (1987)
Shawn of the Dead (20040
Scream (1996)
So far it's my film of the year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment