Sunday 29 April 2012

The Muppets (2011) review


The Muppets (2011)


Review by George Elcombe


“I’ve made my choice, I’ve sung a whole song about it!”

It has been a while since I have seen a film with so much love in it. Yes, we have the romance element of Gary and Mary, Kermit and Piggy, but this film is a labour of love created by those who have loved the Muppets and this films one task is to spread to the world the joy that these puppets can create in all our hearts. And to make us laugh a lot!

Plot: Gary (human) and Walter (Muppet) are brothers. We see them grow up and Walter know he’s not like normal people (but then again who is?). But when he is a child he discovers The Muppet Show and like most of the world and I, his heart is filled with the simplistically silly and inoffensive joys that they bring. As they get older, Gary wishes to take his long term girlfriend Mary to Hollywood for their anniversary, but Walter is invited along so he can visit the Muppet studio tour. However, a tycoon plans to buy the Muppet theatre in a fiendish plot for oil, and Walter must bring back the Muppets for one final fundraising show. Starting with the man on Walter's watch, Kermit.

But this film is hilarious! If you grew up on the Muppets or discovered them later on in life (like some university friends) you will love this movie. Written by long term fan Jason Segel (Gary) everything you knew and loved about the Muppets is here but doesn’t feel rehashed for the sake of nostalgia. It feels fresh in today’s modern world and is very contemporary in some scenes. 

The film juxtaposes real life by showing the Muppets are gone, but ultimately not forgotten. It made me feel like a kid in some parts which is a skill few films have managed, but I felt like I had grown up and It still amazes me how something so inanimate and can be so full of life.

The songs are fantastic and well balanced, although I’m not sure ‘Man or Muppet’ is an Oscar worthy song. However the amount of well placed and well used cameos is fantastic and I want to see Dave Ghrol have his own spin off movie! But I bet you these celebrities jumped at the chance to be in this film as it really shows. And lets not forget Hobo Joe.

The ending makes us realise how much we miss and need the Muppets and while watching this film with my nephews I am glad they enjoyed it as much as I did. A sequel is on its way but I would love to see a new television show.


Overall it’s a great kids film, even for big kids.


7 out of 10


If you like this try:

The Muppets Christmas Carol (1992)
The Producers (1968)

No comments:

Post a Comment